Re: Re: 97 Dak both evaporator and heater core shot!?!

From: ToddD (Darinzo@optonline.net.invalid)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 21:18:57 EDT

HOP,
You're a better man than I. Thought about doing some of the work myself.
Looked at the sevice manual and decided I didn't want to mess with the
steering column and dash. Dealer quoted me eight something for the job.
Now will be a couple hundred more for the heater. I got a chuckle when the
dealer asked me if I wanted to do the heater core now. I almost told him
"nah I want to wait until it gets cold so you can charge me another eight
hours labor to rip out the dash again." But I think he would have taken me
up on that.

The heater was definitely leaking. Never had to replenish any antifreeze.
Got a look at the core and it was corroding all along the bottom edges.
Small leak. Just a note up to everybody. If you're doing the evaporator,
make sure to get a look at the heater core too. Maybe this won't be a
pattern. But you never know.