Power steering fluid gone???

From: \(MAGNUM S/T\) (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 08:39:30 EDT

Apparently after 2 years the S/T is already showing her age :-( You may have
noticed a couple of posts of mine regarding the heat etc....well here's
sumthin new:

While driving I thought I had smelled antifreeze. So when I got home, I
opened the hood and checked the T-Stat area (as I had recently installed an
R Shaw 180)....no leaks. I closed the hood quick and didnt give it much more
thought. Well...while driving yeaterday I noticed the power steering making
alot of noise...as if it was low. In the past month I had just checked all
the fluids and it was fine...so imagine my surprise when I checked it and
found that the dipstick wouldn't even reach the fluid that was in the power
steering container. What bothered me most was that to the right of the power
steering resevoir (facing the windshiled), there was significant oily fluid
all over the side of the engine and below (I have assumed this to be
steering fluid, as everything else appears ok).

It looks as though the steering fluid literally "blew-out" of the top of the
resevoir, even with the cap on! The cap was on all the way when I had
checked it, but there is a slight gap which I could imagine fluid passing
thru if there were pressure behind it. Has anyone evry run into this? Could
it be that I was driving her too hard or the heat had sumthin to do with
it??....I thought I'd be getting more than 2-years of trouble free driving
with this Dak:-(

Later