JBA Headers installed

From: brad k (brad70_98@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 20:15:44 EDT

All,

I just installed the JBA Headers and Y-Pipe from the
group buy last month. I had some problems with the
fit of the Y-pipe which required the use of a pipe
expander. Besides that everthing else was fairly
routine.

If your planning on doing this modification here's
what you can expect:

1. Unhooking the front drive shaft on the 4x4 model
was easy, just remove the nuts from the u-bolts and
push down.

1. To unhook the old Y-pipe from the manifolds I had
cut the old bolts....A Cut off wheel worked well.

2. To unhook the Y-Pipe from the catalytic converter
was royal pain in the a$$. An air hammer comes in
fairly handy here.

3. The manifold bolts were fairly easy to remove and
not too hard to get to.

4. The driver side header fits up through the bottom,
while the pasenger side went in from the top. I had to
remove the coil, which was noted on the directions.

5. I used the spray on ultra copper gasket sealer.
This made for a fairly clean way to seal up the
headers.

6. After tightening the headers down the next step was
installing the Y-pipe, which was definetly a two
person job. I had to use the pipe expander to get the
two pieces of the Y-pipe to fit together and to get
the Y-pipe to fit into the pipe for the cat.
converter.

Total time was about 9 hours. 3 hours to get all of
the old stuff off(one person). And about 6 hours
bolting
the new stuff on, with a break to eat and run to the
auto parts store.

BTW, the ARP small block header bolts are a little too
short to use with the JBA headers.

The one G-Tec run I have made since I added the MP
PCM,
Cap/Rotor/Wires and the Headers/Ypipe showed a
improvement of .7 seconds in the 1/4 mile.