Re: Brakes

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@onemain.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 22:51:01 EDT

 I also suffer from this. The pulsing can be felt in the way the truck stops
 but no pulsing is felt in the brake pedal as you would expect from a warped
 rotor or drum. This condition seems to come and go but is more prevalent on
 hot days. It can usually be felt below around 40mph on easy to moderate
 stops. I have tried to rule out engine and tranny issues by slipping it
into
 neutral when I feel this but the pulsing has continued leading me more
 toward brakes/wheels/tires. I have tried to rule out engine though by zip
 tying all vacuum lines and have even replaced the IAS plunger. I was
leaning
 towards Bruce's line if thought about vacuum leaks/pulses or something
goofy
 causing my torque converter to lock/unlock but the pulses follow the tire
 RPM's too closely. Besides, as I said, I can sometimes feel it coasting to
 stop in neutral. I have found a couple of things trying to troubleshoot
this
 over the last few months:

 1. Rubber plug on vacuum port on right side of manifold loose and not
 sealing.
 2. Air leaks between the base of my K&N air hat and F&B throttle body.
 3. Throttle valve adj. taken waayyyyy too far out. Shifted too soon,
 wouldn't kick down when depressing the accelerator, locking up torque
 converter way early. Have adjusted back per Dodge manual, much happier now.

 All in all, truck is running great now. The computer shows me getting
around
 15.5 to 16 MPG in town and 16 to 17 MPG highway (75-80mph w/AC on). I guess
 I can't complain too much (V-8/auto/4x4).

 The only problem is this intermittent pulse in the brakes. Maybe the rotors
 ARE slightly warped and I only feel it when they 'line up' together? Still,
 I would expect to feel the pulse in my brake pedal. Next oil change, I'll
 have the tires rotated, balanced and front end aligned. Will let you know
if
 this makes any difference.

 Mike G.
 '99 CC SLT+ V-8/Auto/4x4
 K&N Gen II (wrapped with insulation and heat reflective tape)
 Accel cap/rotor/super coil
 MSD 8.5 wires
 F&B TB
 Gibson 3" single cat-back