Re: Re: Check Engine Light = Engine Too Cold For Too Long

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 16:52:58 EDT

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Steven T. Ekstrand wrote:

> Same "problem"
> Haven't fixed it nor tried....
>
> I'd be interested if there is a problem or a fix.
> The dealer won't help you. They will simply chastise you for having the
> INCORRECT thermostat and an aftermarket device which modifies the
> computer's data gathering.

Most of the folks at my car dealership had the same attitude about
aftermarket parts when I was chatting with them about that stuff, during
prepping of my truck..."oh no, don't do that", "it's a bad idea", "it
won't work", etc.

But after finding out their head 'truck' mechanic had a fairly modified
V10 Ram, and we became friends, and started chatting in-depth about
engines with the service mgr, they've lightened up quite a bit about
aftermarket mods and always come outside to see what the latest mod I've
done to the truck, when I stop by.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna drive the truck, ensure it drives and feels
right, and if no more check engine light (really a engine
'symbol')...re-think what I want to do about it.

I guess I'm kind of looking for real-world experience with fellow DAK
owners who have had the same problem/symptoms, and what they did.

Sounds like your truck is doing ok after the problem.

Thanks.