Re: Re:Re: Rearend Blowing Oil

From: Josh Stolarz (josh@stolarz.org)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 22:46:22 EDT

Well the parts are nothing really, it's just the labor.. On my Ferd, the
bearing was pressed onto the axle, so you had to take apart the rear brake
assembly, pull the axle out of the differential, and have a machine shop
press them off. But that was a strange differential, so it is probably
different. The truck had about 140k when the bearing literally blew up..
perhaps the locker is putting some abnormal stress on the bearings on seals,
or the locker is causing the axle to shift or something, causing the seal to
not seal anymore.. Dunno, just grasping at straws...

Josh

<fawcett@uism.bu.edu> wrote in message
> Thanks Josh. Nah, I didn't replace any of those when I put the locker
in...
> You don't really mess with 'em to install the locker and I only had like
30K on
> the odo so I figured they were still fresh.
>
> As to the locker causing the problem (in general), I dunno... I've had it
in
> for some 20K miles and it's been pretty tame. A few unnerving clunks now
and
> again but nothing too extraordinary.
>
> So, what's it cost to replace these seals and bearing?
> Tom

> Subject: DML: Re: Rearend Blowing Oil
> Author: <dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET>
> Date: 8/11/01 8:29 PM
>
> Had that happen to me on my old Ferd truck. One of the wheel bearings blew
> up, which in turn took out the seal on the axle... You do have that locker
> in there, don't suppose that could have caused any problems. Did you
replace
> the seals and bearings when you did the locker install?
>
> Josh
> http://dakota.jumpautos.com
>
> <fawcett@uism.bu.edu> wrote in message
> > Guys,
> >
> > It's as gross as the subject sounds! Coming back from NH I notice oil
all
> over
> > the rear wheel wells and start wondering... A quick look under the ass
> end and
> > sure enough everything is coated along both the axles and just about
> everywhere
> > else. Something blew on the highway 'cause there is an oil film all
over
> the
> > rear cap window and bed gate.
> >
> > I haven't taken anything apart yet as we just got back tonight...
Anybody