Re: Pinion Angle?

From: MrDakota95@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 10:45:32 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/01 2:38:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
acook@jbplusa.com writes:

 <<

  Mr Dakota....

  I'm not on the DML, but I read the archives every day. I read about your
  driveline shudder. I lowered my old '92 with the Western Chassis 2/3 drop
  (spindles-front/ shackel hangers-rear). Before I had it lowered I had a 4x4
  shop install polyurethane bushings at all four corners. Thus, the springs
  came off the axle and were re-installed. I had another mechanic do the
  lowering work (I don't have air tools and can't afford the down time and he
  was cheaper than the 4x4 shop). When I experienced your same shudder, I
  thought my driveshaft was out of balance and that maybe my pinion angle was
  screwed. I installed 2-degree (and then 4-degree) pinion shims and that
  didn't help. I chased the problem for a while and it turns out that beween
  the 4x4 shop, the other mechanic, and my sorry wrenching in the backyard,
  somebody didn't tighten up the U-Bolts tight enough. When I took it to the
  driveshaft shop, they simply put their largest Chicago pneumatic wrench on
  it and cinched the u-Bolts up really tight. Factory spec on those bolts is
  like 600 ibs-ft or something! That pretty much cured the problem. Hope
  it's as simple as that. If you have a ClubCab (and therefore a 2-piece
  driveshaft), make sure the carrier bearing that supports the center fo the
  shaft is still good. Mine was trashed at 145,000 when I lowered my truck.

  Alex Cook

 I checked the spec in the manual and it said torque was 65 Ft lbs on the
ubolts if this is incorrect somebody let me know, This was a Chiltons manual
maybe a 95 FSM would state somthing different ?.

 Shawn
 MrDakota95