Re: Broken bolts in exhaust manifold....

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 16:45:53 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/01 3:36:19 PM Central Daylight Time, wweems@fix.net
writes:

<< I guess my question is this... since the bold broke approx 2-3mm inside the
 hole... how the heck do I get the bolt out? >>

Wes,
    Real simple to fix. First, go get a hardened steel nut that is approx.
the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the bolt that broke. If
you go alittle larger, it won't hurt at all. Next, get your hands on a wire
welder. Hold the nut up to the hole with the broken bolt in it with a pair
of vice grips, pleirs, etc... Using the wire welder, weld the nut to the
broken bolt. Since the heads are made of cast iron and not steel, the weld
will not stick to the head. Just to the bolt and the nut. Let it all cool
and then coat it wil WD-40, PB Blaster, or some other kind of penetrating
oil. After sitting for a while, it should back right out. Once you have the
first piece out, do the same for the second peice, just build up the welds as
needed. I have done this many times to countless heads as I seem to have a
problem with over torqueing the manifold bolts, and NO I am not the 900 lb
Gorilla that installs the factory plugs! Anywho, that should take care of
that broken stuff Wes! Good luck! OH yeah, just to give you something to
think about, have you ever tried to drill out an EZ-Out? It isn't very easy!

The other Will