Re: speedo error

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 23:02:32 EDT

On a '98 and newer, the speedometer and odometer get their data from the
CAB (controller, antilock brake) rear-axle speed sensor. The PCM then
takes that number of revolutions per minute and translates it into a speed
signal to send to the gauges. It uses a lookup table to translate
revolutions to miles. This table is pre-set at the factory with the stock
available tire sizes (4 or 5), and cannot be altered - all you can do
(well, the dealer) is set the PCM to look at a different entry on the table.

There is a device that can be plugged into the line coming of fthe sensor
to "fool" the CAB and PCM, it's a little spendy and I don't get a warm
fuzzy interfering with stuff like that. A custom flash may also be able to
take care of a tire size difference, but that's even more expensive.

According to Ye Olde DML Tire Calculator, your new tires are 25.66" tall,
2.39" shorter than stock. Unless there's a stock tire size that's close,
you may be out of luck on a speedo adjustment.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com