Re: Re: NASCAR's cop-out

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 12:19:34 EDT

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:50:25 -0400, 2punch.crash2000@home.com ("Punch/
Crash2000") wrote:

>so the death of a nobody doesn't matter?

Apparently not. Where were all the big showy memorials when Adam Petty
and Kenny Irwin died? Where is the lap of silence when we get to lap
number of their car? Where was the six month, million dollar
investigation into their deaths? And, the point I was trying to make
in my post, apparently the death of a major star only matters to
NASCAR because of the bad publicity it might bring. Where are the
million dollar investigations into how to prevent this in the future?
If that had been done when the nobodys died maybe the somebodys would
still be around.

>would be falling all over themselves to come up with new
>> rules, regulations and mandates to try to prevent another such
>> occurrence
>
>can the drivers not govern themeselves!

Do the drivers have the power to launch million dollar investigations
and then mandate safety changes to all the teams? Do the drivers have
the power to launch million dollar investigations and then mandate
safety changes to the track owners? Do the drivers have the power to
change NASCAR rules? Sure the drivers can all get together and say,
hey, let's all wear that HANS device from now on. But NASCAR is the
sanctioning body and it's their responsibility to investigate and set
rules. Like I said, three drivers have died from similar wrecks and
similar injuries and NASCAR takes no responsibility and offers no
solutions.

97 V6 Auto
e-mail mcrumley@airmail.net

President Bush met the with Queen for the very
first time. I think they hit it off. The Queen never won
the popular vote, she inherited the job from her father, and
they both have embarrassing relatives.- Jay Leno