Re: 4.7 ENGINE Applause (Attn: Rick)

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 23:07:06 EDT

I know how you feel,Rick! I also have a 99 (albeit a
V6) that has intermittent power loss.The dealer`s
co-pilot machine is hooked to my Dak right now,as I
try to record the problem.As I was deciding which Dak
to buy two years ago,I was a little nervous about the
new 4.7 engine,and ESPECIALLY that 45RFE
transmission,because you always hear that you`re not
supposed to buy the first year of anything.So I
decided to get the 3.9 and 42RE transmission,because
they had been around for a decade already,and the bugs
were bound to have been worked out during that
time,right? But I should have remembered that Chrysler
does not address known problems with a certain
model,they wait until the next major redesign of the
vehicle to try to tackle those problems quietly and
cheaply.Therefore,I inherited the pinging,harsh
reverse engagement,ball joint failure,warped rotors,
erratic idle,and noisy engine of the earlier model
Daks with the 3.9.,especially the 97 and 98 models.And
I also have that power loss problem similar to yours.
I feel like if I had gotten the 4.7 w/45RFE auto,then
I would have had less problems.Maybe.I know I
definitely would have had 60 more horsepower! That`s
why I`ve been looking to trade for a 4.7 sometime
soon,if I can do it.I must really LOVE Daks,to be
looking at new ones!!
Steve P. --
"Suter, Rick" <RSuter@bizfon.com> wrote:
> Sure wish I could chime in with the same
> enthusiasm...
> Unfortunately, I opted for a 5.2l cuz 1) I had been
> very happy with the last
> 5.2l for 173,000 and 2) I wasn't convinced that alum
> heads and a steel block
> were a good idea, after witnessing head and head
> gasket problems on 2.2 and
> 2.6 engines.
>
> My mistake cuz my '99 is the worst running vehicle
> I have ever
> owned. The Dodge boys can't make it run right no
> matter what whims they
> apply to it. The last thing was replacing the cat,
> which helped some, but
> not enough. Whatever the root issue is, still goes
> unrepaired. I stumbles
> down the highway at any RPMS under 3000.
>
> Of course, this is all very hard to swallow for
> me.... here's a list
> of vehicles I have owned.
>
> 1968 Dodge Charger
> 1969 Dodge Dart
> 1970 Dodge Challenger convertible (383 Mag sob
> sob)
> 1971 Dodge Charger
> 1973 Plymouth Duster
> 1968 Pontiac Firebird (hey, everyone makes
> mistakes!)
> 1970 Olds 4-4-2 convert(sometimes 2 mistakes!)
> 1980 Dodge Mirada
> 1984 Dodge Daytona
> 1973 Dodge Challenger (hardtop and just not the
> same as the
> ragtop)
> 1986 Jeep Comanche
> 1987 Dodge Dakota
> 1992 Dodge Dakota
> 1957 Willys FC-150
> *1999 Dodge Dakota
> *1955 CJ-5
> *1957 CJ-5
>
> * current vehicles
>
> >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:11:50 -0500
> >From: JOE GLOWICKI <shelback@i-star.com>
> >Subject: Re: DML: 4.7 ENGINE Applause
> >
> >42,000 and still going strong.
> >
> >Will Coughlin wrote:
> >
> > Hey, Not knocking the 4.7L- as I have one and
> don't have many complaints,
> > but 27,000 miles is not a lot of miles. I'm going
> to have to see a lot
> more
> > than that on one before I decide it's as good an
> engine as it's made out
> > be.

=====
Steve Preston 1999 Dakota Sport 3.9V6,4x4,3.92 Anti-spin,42RE auto,Intense Blue,regular cab.