RE: Gears for 31" tires

From: Chris Oertell (coertell@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 00:44:13 EDT

Wes,

Check out the DML tire and wheel calculator at
http://dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html You can put in your current
configuration vs. stock and see how big of gears you might need. You can
also plug in the 35" tires to see it's effect on your performance. You will
have to find out the actual metric size of the tire as the site doesn't
allow input of inch sized tires. I would think that with 31's, 4:10's would
be the way to go. If you do plan to run 35" tires you might want to go with
4:56 but keeping in mind that you have to replace both sets of gears, I
don't think they have 4:56 gears for the front. I could be wrong with that.
They definitely have 4:56 in a rear gear. A friend of mine is running 35"
tires and 4:56's on his Durango with a solid axle conversion. He definitely
has a lot of power. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Chris Oertell
Arcadia, CA
http://www.dodgetruckonline.com
coertell@earthlink.net
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport V6 Regular Cab Emerald Green
1989 Kawasaki EX500
AOL IM--coertell73
ICQ #--19870422