Re: Re: Aftermarket Muffler Options

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 11:37:01 EDT

It's not even that specific. If you relieve too much backpressure, you'll lose
power. If you have too much backpressure, you'll lose power. Finding the sweet
spot is part science, part black art. So far, we know that for a stock to mildly
modified engine, a single 3" is really nice. To go larger, you'd better have
serious engine work (I think the ViperTruck has 3 1/2" or 4", but Austin has more
than a little work on that thing).

Once you get into duals, things get even trickier. Stock, I think you've got a
2.5" pipe, which works out to 4.90625 sq. in. cross-section. Dual 2" pipes have
a total cross-sectional area of 6.28 sq. in. Dual 2.5" is 9.8125 sq. in. A
single 3" is 7.065 sq. in. A dual 3" is 14.13 sq. in. So a dual 3" will leave
you with precious little backpressure, and your truck will be a slug. 2.5" is
probably the largest you can safely go on duals, and 3" on a single pipe,
without major engine work. I know quite a few people are running a Gibson
dual-exit on their V8s with good results.

If I'm all wet here, please let me know, folks.