Re: Re: Re: Rethinking my stereo plans

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 20:45:16 EDT

Chuck Robbins wrote:

> "Jason&Sarah" <Jason@spiritone.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Questions:
> > > How hard is it to install speakers & amp myself (well, with a friend)?
>
> To do the job right plan on a full weekend, but it could also be done in a
> day.

A whole weekend!? Yow!

> > > If I get separate tweeters, where's a good place to mount them?
>
> As I understand it, the higher the better. But if you mount them in the
> stock location, I don't think imaging will suffer too much.

I'll be cutting no matter where I mount them, so I'm open to suggestion.

I'm looking at the Boston RC620 set, but that's a 6" speaker. The cutout is
larger than that...I guess I'd need a spacer of some sort?

> > > Where can I put the amp? Is under a front seat clear enough?
>
> It needs to be a small amp as there's not much room under there. There was
> no way my Orion would fit under my seats.

Sounds like I'm going to lose some of that under-seat storage under the back
seat. Is that a safe place as far as heat buildup goes?

> > > How big an amp should I go with? Any recommended brands/models?
>
> How big of an amp you go with depends on your speakers. Boston Acoustics can
> handle a lot of power. As for brands, I'm happy with my Orion 500.5 ;-)
>
> > > Will I need a separate amp for a subwoofer, which will come probably
> next
> > > spring at the earliest?
>
> If you get a 5 or 6 channel amp, you won't need a separate amp for the
> subwoofer(s).

Between the number of channels and a big amp, sounds like I'll be spending a lot
here?

> Check out www.soundomain.com for some ideas. I think
> Crutchfield has some as well. Basically, you'll want to totally plan out
> your system now before running wires and placing amps. You don't want to
> build your system and realize that you don't have room for another amp or
> distribution block later.

That "showtime" truck from Carlisle is on sounddomain, maybe I should go that
big :) It sounds like I'm going to be getting pretty deep into this stuff if I
want to do it w/o having a shop do it. We'll have to talk at Lebanon Valley in
a couple weeks. Then we'll have visual aids too. I'm going to bring the Dak in
this year...will have to see about getting it dirty beforehand.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com