Re: DML:Wacky Speed-O

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 13:48:53 EDT

What year dakota do you have? I've posted earlier about my 97 dakota doing
the same thing with the abs/brake indicator lights, but mine are really
random and have no pattern to it.

I haven't had any weird movements in the mph needle, but it could just be a
bad potentiohmeter (motor that moves the needle?) that causes a short delay
in the needle. I've always noticed that the needle doesn't move smoothly
on mine.

For instance. I can already hit 50 mph on full acceleration, let off and
the needle will still rise a couple more MPG then stay steady. So I don't
think our gauges have good response time to begin with.

On your ABS/brake problem. I'd take it to dodge and have them hook up the
scanner to it and see what the heck it is. They can pull codes from the
abs side in less than 20 minutes and it shouldn't cost an arm and leg.
Just because they diagnosed it, doesn't mean they HAVE to fix it. You can
then pay the diagnostic charge, go home, and change out what they say needs
to be changed. (the technicians may not like it too much, but they've
already been paid for the diagnostic, so they can't really complain.)
-Chuong

<<
Anyone know the intricacies of fixing this yourself???
Can this also be causing my "ABS" and manual brake
"brake" light to stay on in the dashboard display??
...I dont like taking the dak to the eye
gouging.."well its gonna need ALL these repairs or
else we cant guarantee the work" lieing stealing
dealer bastiches.