Unite America! (forgive the off-topic post)

From: Jason Yates (onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 19:41:17 EDT

I fought myself to refrain from posting to the DML regarding the
tragedy we have all experienced this week. For many of us, the
DML is a support group . . . one dedicated to those of us with
an addiction to our Dakotas, but it is much more. It is a forum
that allows people across the country to communicate, learn, and
grow from a common interest. I've been disturbed a bit by some
of the political rhetoric of late . . . it is not the time to
debate the finer points, but to unite as a common America behind
our President. My words are motivated by one of the most
inspiring things I have seen this week on television just a few
minutes ago. CBS news showed that during the Changing of the
Guard at Buckingham Palace in Great Britain that the band played
the Star Spangled Banner, our national anthem. I can't tell you
how moving that was . . . I think it must of caused everyone's
eyes who saw it to well up in tears--I know I saw tears in Dan
Rather's eyes. It was quite significant to have our greatest
ally play our anthem in their country during a ceremony that I
understand has always been reserved to honor the glory of Great
Britain. For the British government and its people to take this
unprecedented action . . . well, it just means more than words
can say. I am just one voice, a very patriotic voice, but I
know we as a people will overcome this troubling time. We will
rise, as a Phoenix from the ashes, and strike down our enemies.
It will not be easy. It will not be quick. It will take
sacrifices from us all. No matter what, never forget the
principles upon which our country was founded. Never forget
that we are a country founded by immigrants who created the
American Dream and were followed from that day on by more
immigrants wanting the same chance. This includes Muslim and
Arab Americans; remember that they are on our side, they are
Americans, too. I apologize for my "preachyness" but I had no
other outlet for the feelings that have been tearing me up for
the past few days. Best of luck to all.

Jason Yates
Ohio, United States of America