RE: Custom Headliners

From: Smokindakota (webmaster@smokindakota.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 13:45:08 EDT

It is something you could tackle yourself. Go to a local upholstery shop and
buy the material you want, tweed, vinyl, etc. A air compressor with a glue
pot and paint gun works the best for spraying the glue. But if you don't
have that you can get some Super 77 Spray adhesive. To make the raised
images, purchase hard foam at the upholstery shop. It isn't rock hard, but
when you push it leaves an impression that rebounds quickly.

To make the headliner, use your old one as a template. I can't recall, but I
think we striped the material off of the stock one and just reupholstered
it. Hopefully your stock one is usable. Lay out your design for the graphics
on the hard foam using a black marker. When you have it right, cut it out
with a razor blade, utility knife or scissors. Position your graphics on the
headliner and glue them in place. Spray the entire headliner, including the
newly placed graphics with adhesive. Slowly lay down your material, it helps
if you have an extra set of hands. Just work the material into all of the
crevices around the graphics. Then overlay a little material on the back and
trim.

Steven

http://www.smokindakota.com
http://www.soundofprestige.com