Re: Four Wheel Drive Question

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 11:35:37 EDT

Is this part-time 4WD? If so, you shouldn't be using 4WD on dry pavement at
all. There's no center diff and that can cause the driveline to bind up and
lead to premature failure.

But to answer your questions:

Yes, you may notice a slight whining noise. How much will probably depend on
the condition of your t-case and front drive components. The first time my
father rode in my Dak with 4WD engaged, he said "you have it in 4? Not bad, it
doesn't whine like I expected." At the time, the Dak was less than a year
old. If there's a whine today at 39K, it's almost imperceptible or I've just
gotten used to it.

Chirping on a corner - Sounds like something normal. See above about dry
pavement and PT4WD.

Locking up in reverse - once again, see above.

I've got nearly 39K on my Dak and haven't had any oddities from the 4WD system.
I've run it a few times when I really shouldn't have (70MPH in the rain once)
and haven't had any problems, but I know now when I should and shouldn't use it
- I didn't use 4WD much more last winter than the first winter I had it, and we
got a LOT more snow here in Syracuse the second winter. No problems with
reverse in snow or on the dirt either.