1991 Dak 5.2l questions

From: Psychosis (psychosis@darkhawk.net)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 10:27:08 EDT

I just obtained a 1991 Dak 4x4 5.2l automatic at a very good price. The
truck has 174,000 on it but seems to be a very solid truck. Motor runs fair
but needs a little loving and care.

Problem is that the truck stumbles from dead stop if you flat foot it. I
don't know what the rearend ratio is but gonna check on that. The truck
will power brake with little effort but a flat foot from a dead stop results
in the truck only hooking up and going with that stumble. Anyone know where
I can start to check for probs? I have already changed plugs, air filter,
pcv valve, crankcase filter. Im gonna change the oil today and throw on a
new rotor button and distributor cap since the old ones look pretty rough.
Hopefully thats where my stumble is coming from.

Here is one thing thats really bugging me and could also cause the stumble
problem i think. The exhaust is not stock by any means. Looks to me like
it only has a catalytic convertor on it that has been gutted. The engine
when revving it or going down hill tapping gas will backoff and occasionally
backfire loudly. I don't like that and it is going to get changed soon. I
heard these engines require some back pressure to run correctly and since
this is custom exhaust the air injection system from the cat is missing.
This might explain the backfiring and/or stumble. Also since the EGR system
works from exhaust back pressure that could also cause the stumble and/or
backfiring.

Now this leads me to my next and last question. What kinda of exhaust and
performance mods are available for my year model truck and where is the best
place to look, online or offline? Also what do you guys suggest for an
exhaust system that is hopefully below the $200 range.

Please reply or it would be better to email me your thoughts at
psychosis@darkhawk.net

Thanks for your time and input,
Psychosis