Re: 1991 Dak 5.2l questions

From: Sam Parthemer (rtdkota@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 14:35:31 EDT

Well, I had a '91 LE... your truck is a premag-- has
Throttle Body Fuel Injection (TBI). Given the nature of
the problem, I would imagine if you tapped the throttle
about 1/2 way the truck will have a good sized hesitation
when cold.

You need to change the exhaust... My '91 LE had a very
slight hesitation, with the exhaust setup I put on (when
cold), once warmed up it was great. I had a flowmaster
delta flow muffler, 3" from the CAT all the way out. If
you get a new CAT, and it's a high flow CAT, don't get a
flowmaster (the combo will have too little backpressue).
Instead get a Dynomax Superturbo. It will have a mellow
sound inside the truck, and a nice bark outside when you
get on it. With 3.55 gearing the cruising speed of 65 mph
gave it a nice growl about 2200 rpm (not loud).

Headers-- Mopar makes tubular exhaust manifolds for the '91
V8, but I don't know if they are still available. Your
engine is a Fuel Injected standard LA V8, so you might be
able to get some other brand of headers for a Mopar A-Body
small block to fit.

Hope that helps!

Sam

--- Psychosis <psychosis@darkhawk.net> wrote:
> I just obtained a 1991 Dak 4x4 5.2l automatic at a very
> good price. The
> truck has 174,000 on it but seems to be a very solid
> truck. Motor runs fair
> but needs a little loving and care.
>
> Problem is that the truck stumbles from dead stop if you
> flat foot it. I
> don't know what the rearend ratio is but gonna check on
> that. The truck
> will power brake with little effort but a flat foot from
> a dead stop results
> in the truck only hooking up and going with that stumble.
> Anyone know where
> I can start to check for probs? I have already changed
> plugs, air filter,
> pcv valve, crankcase filter. Im gonna change the oil
> today and throw on a
> new rotor button and distributor cap since the old ones
> look pretty rough.
> Hopefully thats where my stumble is coming from.
>
> Here is one thing thats really bugging me and could also
> cause the stumble
> problem i think. The exhaust is not stock by any means.
> Looks to me like
> it only has a catalytic convertor on it that has been
> gutted. The engine
> when revving it or going down hill tapping gas will
> backoff and occasionally
> backfire loudly. I don't like that and it is going to
> get changed soon. I
> heard these engines require some back pressure to run
> correctly and since
> this is custom exhaust the air injection system from the
> cat is missing.
> This might explain the backfiring and/or stumble. Also
> since the EGR system
> works from exhaust back pressure that could also cause
> the stumble and/or
> backfiring.
>
> Now this leads me to my next and last question. What
> kinda of exhaust and
> performance mods are available for my year model truck
> and where is the best
> place to look, online or offline? Also what do you guys
> suggest for an
> exhaust system that is hopefully below the $200 range.
>
> Please reply or it would be better to email me your
> thoughts at
> psychosis@darkhawk.net
>
> Thanks for your time and input,
> Psychosis

=====
Sam '00 RT
(14.667@93 mph)

Get Paid to surf the Net!
http://www.alladvantage.com/ref_center.asp?refid=GTS444
Pay Anyone with a Credit Card. Checkout Paypals!
https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=srp%40home.com