Re: 3.55 rear end noise...what a Bitch!

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 22:32:58 EDT

I thought that rear end noise was usually
characterized as a dull roaring or moaning sound,not
really grinding.If your noise does not diminish quite
a bit below 45 mph or so,as well as change pitch,your
problem is probably elsewhere.My $2.87.
--- JakeandReggie@aol.com wrote:
> I think I've got something like this happening too.
> I took my Dak in for what
> I thought was a front-end noise. I was thinking the
> intermediate shaft
> because of the sort of gind/rotation felt up front
> (going straight or
> turning, doesn't matter). The tech tells the service
> manager that the noise
> is coming from my rear-end and it's a pinion bearing
> grinding thats traveling
> up the drive shaft being felt up front. So I go to
> the dealer and have this
> guy ride with me to make sure that we heard the same
> noise. Sure as shit, we
> hear the same noise so I guess I gotta take his word
> for it. Any thoughts on
> this? Anyone else experience this?
>
> JAKE

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.