8 3/4" Questions...

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 17:20:12 EDT

Hey guys,
Since I'll be installing my 8 3/4" this weekend I have a few questions... I
decided not to go with the green non-adjustable axle bearings and I stuck
with the factory Tapered roller A-7 Bearings and one adjuster, one fixed
plate. So who can help me as to how I go about adjusting this for propper
axle brg. preload? I think it's 7-15 thousandth's endplay. Which side does
the adjuster go on? Left I think...Been a long time since I've done this!
Other than that I'm pretty close to having this thing licked, I have my 6 lug
axles from Moser so i can keep my factory wheels, a set of used 3.55 gears
that just happened to be in the 489 case I robbed out of a 1974 Power Wagon
parts truck I had, I'm also using that very same case in my truck. I have a
pair of shock mounting brackets off of a 2000 Dakota that grenaded the 9 1/4"
 Matt Barret gave them to me last christmas time when I was originally gonna
put this in. I picked up some leaf spring pads at Mancinni Racing today to
weld on, now I just have to put all the shit together! Details as I go...

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming this weekend... E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker,
10" Brakes, and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!