180 T-Stat/Constant Check Engine Light

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 15:23:05 EDT

Howdy...have this same msg posted at dodgedakotas.com, seems a bit slow
there today, sorry for the repeat:

On my 2001 4.7, it took some time, but after installing the RS 180 T-stat,
I get a constant P1281 Error Code or: Engine coolant temperature remains
below normal operating temperatures.

I find the colder it is outside, the quicker the code comes back after
resetting the PCM.

The truck starts, warms up, and performs normally so IMHO, the 180 T-Stat
is probably fine, right? The temp guage is always pegged to it's normal
spot when fully warmed up.

Is this error code worth a trip to the dealer, or should I continue to
drive and occassionally reset the PCM and check the code to ensure nothing
else pops up? (I could do the old Homer Simpson trick and just tape over
the check engine light...DOH!)

Is there the possibility of engine damage running in this condition?

Thanks...