Re: Re: Fw: 318 to 360 swap!!!!!!!

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@starpower.net)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 09:45:08 EDT

    You won't need a computer, but depending on how radical your 360 is, you
will need a custom flash. A stock 360 may be OK with the 318 computer, but
others have said differently on here before. You'll need a 360 balancer and
flywheel. The flywheel MUST be from a '93 or newer 360. You need to use the
distributor from the 360, the 318 one won't work, or at least it didn't on
mine (again, others have said differently).

    Also, unless the 360 you get was originally mated to a 5-speed (not
likely), you'll need a dealer-only pilot bearing. You can't get this from
anywhere else, trust me. I can get you the part # if you need it.

    Other than that, it just drops right in. :-) I just did this swap about
a month ago on my '99.

Hope this helps,

Doug Myers
'99 Dakota RC/SB 5.9L/5-speed/3.92SG
K&N Gen II FIPK, Comp Cams '604 cam, Progear timing chain, MP 2-bbl MPI, MP
R/T heads, Hughes' roller rockers, MP polished aluminum valve covers, ASP
crank pulley, MP Headers, 3" Dynomax cat, 3" Flowmaster, Accel Supercoil,
Magnecor KV-85 8.5mm Race Wires, Melling HV oil pump, Centerforce Dual
Friction Clutch