Re: Urgent! Fan shroud question!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 23:39:47 EDT

Andy Levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:
: Well, since the blades on my Black Magic 150 have disappeared into Jon's
: mudpit, I'm left with an interesting challenge. Do I replace the spinning
: part of the fan, or just put back the clutch fan for good?

: I went outside to put the clutch fan back on and I can't find the screws
: for the shroud. Can I run without the shroud for a couple days till I
: locate hardware or figure out what to do? Yes, I do realize how insanely
: dangerous it is, but I'm in a bind here. Weather Channel says I won't see
: higher than 65 this week; think I can go safely w/o any fan for a couple
: days, rather than install/remove/install cycles while I locate parts? I
: can rig my drive into work in the morning so I have a very small number of
: stops, and as long as I'm over 25 MPH I seem to be OK on temperature.

  I notice you've already gotten some replies on this, but just
wanted to chime in anyway... I also don't see a problem with running
without the fan, as long as you are able to keep the temp within the
normal operating range. I also wouldn't consider running without the
shroud to be nescessarily dangerous, unless of course you are in the
habit of leaning or reaching into your engine bay while the truck is
running. The shroud is there more for aerodynamic efficiency reasons
than for safety. (A shrouded fan or propeller can move a LOT more air
than an unshrouded one.)

  Oh, I was very glad to hear that you made it back home OK! :-) Was
going to send an e-mail to check on ya but saw your post first. Kind've
a dissapointing day as far as equipment goes, but I still had a good
time hanging out with everyone. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'