Re: uh oh, is it tranny or clutch?

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 22:49:50 EDT

how long have you had the mobil 1 in the tranny Dave? Sounds like synchros,
but doesn't rule out clutch cyl probs. Take a peek at the fluid, see if
there's any metal fragments (unusally large amounts or big peices). I'm
up for a clutch job just about anytime, wouldn't take long with the lift on
that truck :)
__________________
         Jon Smith
       Raleigh, NC
'95 CC 318 4x4 auto
   344rwhp/424tq

140,000-ish miles on my 96 4x4 5-speed, original clutch, starting to have
shifting difficulty--definitely more clunking and occasional grinding,
especially when shifting into 2nd or 3rd...can't even shift into second at
all when it is cold. "catches" a bit going into third. currently have mobil
1
synth gear oil in tranny...question is, is this a sign of clutch or tranny
failure? fluids are new and levels are good, maybe use different fluid? what
is this a sign of? please tell me I don't need a tranny rebuild...thoughts?

dave kilian
96 4x4 lifted and locked