Re: Re: Clutch replacement

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 23:31:44 EDT

At 09:44 PM 10/24/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>"Flywheel machining is not recommended. The flywheel clutch surface is
>machined to a unique contour and machining will negate this feature.

I don't dispute what you're saying... only what Dodge is saying. I'm not a
mechanical engineer but it doesn't make sense. The flywheel has to be
flat.... what kind of "unique contour" could there be? Sounds like the
flywheel is manufactured just about as thin as it can be and turning it
could cause it to be too thin and subject to warping and cracking. Maybe
it's made that way to reduce weight/parasitic load on the engine. I have
to admit that this is the first time I've heard a manufacturer advise NOT
to turn the flywheel when replacing the clutch. Hey, you live and learn.
Bye,
Ray

reply to ray.sulich@snet.net
Parkinson's Law: Work expands so as to fill the time
                        available for its completion.