Re: 12 volt vs. 125vac

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 00:04:17 EST

125 volts alternating current is about what you get from your wall socket in
your home. 20 amps at 120 volts = 2400 watts. However 20 amps at 12 volts only
= 240 watts. It doesn't matter if it is ac or dc. amps is amps. volts times
amps = watts. So at 120 volts a 20 amp switch could run a 2400 watt amplifier
but at 12 volts that same switch could only be used for a 240 watt amplifier.
The voltage rating on the switch is only an indicator of the maximum voltage it
should be used on..
Does this help?