RE: Fw: Deer Vs. Dak

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 08:36:37 EST

Josh,
You hit the deer just right. Take a look down inside your hood where the
frame meets the front supports (I forget what they call this piece) for the
radiator. They may have changed the design over the years, but you will
probably see one small black box bolted to each side of these supports.
These are the front airbag sensors. If you get hit hard enough for these
supports to get twisted, the airbag will deploy.

I'd consider yourself lucky. Looks like you didn't hit too awfully hard,
and it was center enough to evenly displace the energy between the supports.
Personally, I wouldn't have wanted the airbag to go off. I think you were
very fortunate.
Rich - Ashburn, VA