Re: Re: A Dumb Radiator Question, But I Gotta Ask

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 08:48:27 EST

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Andy Levy wrote:

> Since the JET Chip is easy to remove, I'd give that a shot. I see no
> reason to swap the thermostat. If I recall correctly, you're in the Boston
> area? I know there are a few guys out that way running 180s with no
> problems. My 318 with a 180 has seen single-digit temperatures with *no*
> problems at all. Warmup times didn't change at all, no problems with heat
> coming through the vents to keep me comfy, no alarms going off.

I'm in the Hudson Valley region of NY (close enough to Boston) where it
can still get pretty cold.

The 180 T-stat was installed to reap all the benefits of the Jet Chip II,
that's why I was asking in cold weather, does the chip work just as well
performance wise, as in warm/hot weather? (may influence me to remove the
180 t-stat during winter, something I really don't want to do though)

BTW, is there a way to tell physically if the T-stat is stuck open? Though
I don't suspect it is, as the engine does warm up to normal temps (takes
longer on those cold days) and stays there, and the truck runs just fine.

Also do those MIL errors put the engine into 'limp home' mode? To me, that
intones degraded performance, haven't felt that yet.

Thanks all.