Re: Re: The Specifics - CB

From: Car37 (englehart@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 11:09:22 EST

I am having no problems with a wire run from the battery with noise. I did with
my old GM but seems ok with the Dakota. The antenna is not the best but I have
used it and it worked ok, just as you said, do not expect much, I am running a
Larsen now with great results. For that antenna, I would say to place the
antenna all the down to the bottem, if it is new, I had to cut some off every
one I had, I think halfway would be worse. The SWR meter is a good investment
for the antenna being a magnet mount and from Radio Shack, good to keep around
and check once a year. I have had that antenna blow off my car before when a
truck drove by. The Wilson Antenna (Little Wil) would be a much better choice
then the RS and easier to get then my Larsen, I had to hunt for a second one.
The Wilson should be able to be found at most truck stops, as I have noticed
here in Canada. I would get my power from the fuse box if the radio is not
modified to transmit more wattage, I am running a bit higher wattage, therefore
am running a new line from the battery. If you have noise, you can try to use a
choke or filter on the line, that fixed up my GM noise problem and I stress
fusing at the battery also, nothing worse then hotting a battery at the firewall
with a heavy gage wire with no fuse, the resulting fire can be deadly, I was
lucky when I did that, I was young (16) at the time and lived to learn a lesson
about fuses. I also wanted my radio on all the time unless shut of at the
radio, not with the key.

Most people get a good radio, but the antenna is important to, should not be
cheap there, and the SWR is important to set. If that is high, the signal is
not getting transmitted but being reflected back to your radio and will burn out
you radio in time, the higher the reflection, the quicker.

If you get a meter, the instructions should be straight forward, I set channel
221 as close to 1:1 as possiable and the rest should be ok. With your RS
antenna, the ratio should be about 1:1.1 or 1.2 on 21 and maybe as high as 1.8 -
1.9 on 1 and 40. The Wilson would get you better results.

Good Luck