RE: mobil 1....again

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 14:45:43 EST

Robert,
I've never had any oil analysis performed, but others on the list have.
(They can be found in the archives.) After the first 10Kmi, I switched to
Mobil-1, and use Wix filters. (The Wix filter I use is twice the size of
the stock one.) The filter gets changed every 5Kmi., and the oil every
10Kmi. The last time I tore down the engine at ~53Kmi., you could easily
see all the cross-hatch pattern honed into the cylinder walls. No sludge
build up on anything, and the top of the pistons were in suprisingly good
shape with very minimal build-up. The valve stems had accumulated some
deposits, but very minimal compared to other engines.

It makes you wonder with many manufactures now telling you 7500mi. between
conventional oil changes, and they use an oil filter the size of a baseball.
I don't know the story behind that, but I do know what my engine looks like,
and what it runs like. I'll stick with the Mobil-1 and oversized filters.
Rich - Ashburn, VA

PS. I used to have an excellent website that did a complete rundown on the
makeup of synthetic and conventional oils. Of course I cant fine it now,
but when I do, I will post it.