Re: General question: parking brakes

From: Jon (jonram@megalink.net)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 01:40:23 EST

That's how I do it, except that I shift to neutral, engage the parking
brake, let off the brake pedal, then shift to park. That way, you know for
sure that the brake is holding the truck, rather than the tranny. Then when
I get ready to take off again, it's the same but backwards. I step on the
brake pedal, shift to neutral, disengage the parking brake, then shift to
drive and take off. The reason I do it this way is the same reason why I
shift into neutral at stops, it's easier on the brakes if the engine isn't
constantly pushing against them, as in Drive.
I've seen the guts of a few auto transmissions, and the park mechanism is
rather weak-looking, so using the parking brake is easier on the tranny, as
well. Also, using the parking brake keeps the infamous Dodge
"self-adjusting" brakes adjusted.
Later,
Jon
jonram@megalink.net
The Dodge Diesel Website
http://www.dieseldodge.com
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4, 3.9L V6, 42RE, 3.92:1 8.75 axle, "BackRack"
Headache Rack, Dodge Motorsports decals, steering wheel cover, and front
license plate, diamond-plate bedrail covers, Lund VentVisors, Lund BugShield