RE: Front Tow Hooks on 2000 Dakota 4.7L

From: Brian Bourne (Brian@cms.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 23:43:30 EST

>> I do. If you had the Mopar tow hook kit installed
>> we've got the same setup.

Oh oh - you better get your set up checked. If those brackets behind
the hooks don't bolt to the cross bar, then your tow hooks are purely
cosmetic. They have f-all strength without it. Being only bolted at
the top, and with all the leverage of the bar length, they don't stand a
chance.

>> Just how "heavy duty" was this pulling you did? I know
>> the Mopar kit isn't as strong as it would be if it

I towed another Dakota 4x4 out of a mud pit. Check out the pictures on
my website and you'll see the bumper gap. The whole thing pivoted
forward about a half inch and then stopped. I kept pulling and they
didn't keep moving.

>> And if the dealer installed this setup, they are
>> accepting responsibility for its failure, right? That

Only after I found some pictures on Dakota-Truck.Net that proved the
hooks were installed incorrectly did they take responsibility. Thanks
to Tom's "How To" article the dealer has suddenly become quite helpful!

I'll keep everyone posted.

-bb