Re: pcm etc for 2001 gc 4.7

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 00:30:56 EST

Jim, as deep as I've been able to dig- all I've heard is basically that the
4.7L PCM's wouldn't pass emissions, so they couldn't release them. I don'
know how much truth there is to that(probably very little-the 4.7L's are
cleaner than 318/360's to start with!), but it seems to be what everybody is
trained to say when asked. The P/N's were created for the Dakota's I know,
and I assume for other vehicles, but if you are on a Mopar network parts
terminal(the computers they have in the parts department at the dealers) and
try to check availability/pricing on the P/N's, it comes up with an error
message. The message says somethig to the extent of: Part number valid, but
not produced, code(can't remember the exact code), no expected release date,
etc.
Basically, it's very likely they'll never be available. I do wish Dodge
would go to a Ford/GM type data system in the PCM's, so that Hypertech or
other manufacturers could do something similar to the Power Programmer for
Dodges. A real good friend of mine has a '99 Silverado reg. cab swb 2wd
5.3L/4L60E/10-bolt 3.42 open truck. He just got a power programmer for it
and I love the way it works. Changeable settings, unlimited loads/offloads
of info, removable for service work or when somebody else drives, etc.
Pretty neat system. Anyway, HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 Reg. cab 2wd, 4.7L/NV3500HD/9.25" 3.92 sure-grip