Re: Gas Mileage discovery

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 14:05:45 EST

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 Puddlestompa@aol.com wrote:

> When testing my gas mileage I have always let my tank empty before I fill it. I consistenly get 16-17(w/k&N)mpg. But just this last time with out changing my "stomp and go" driving style I got 18.5 miles to the gallon. The only difference is that I filled it when it was 3/4 the way empty not, completely empty like usual. Has anyone else had this happen, I guess it could be a fluke, but I have never gotten this high of mpg, other than when I do long drives.
>
> Aaron
> 98 RC 2.5L 2wd

I've seen something similar as well, had about 1/4 tank left, mistakenly
put in 5 gallons of 93 octane, then filled up with 89 (Jet Chipp II) and
saw my MPG jump from a average of 16.8 to 18.8

Thought the difference was the 93 octane which was only 5 cents more per
gallon than the 89, tried a full tank of 93 (filled from
empty though) and went back to around 16.8 MPG...go figure.