Lifter Replacement, was: Lifter noise

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 22:41:51 EST

Will, good memory. I'm really surprised anyone remembered that, it was 18
mos. ago.

As a matter of fact, I spent most of today, pulling and replacing the old
lifters with new ones. (can you believe, Dec 5 in Michigan and 67 degrees!)

What I discovered was that #5 intake rocker stud had backed out about 3/16"
and that the lifters were probably good, but I replaced them anyway with a
new set since it was all apart. Can you believe the intake gasket was still
good after all this time? I ended up just dropping the intake back on with
the old gaskets and a couple of small beads of silicone and a new set of
intake bolts. I got a new set of lifters from a schmuck that sold em' to me
for $50, he still thinks I'm paying him too! ;-}

In all, it took about 6 1/2 hrs with Sam's (schmuck) help. No more noise
now, but it feels like it has more power now. That stud that backed out was
probably costing me about half the intake lift in that cylinder. All better
now!

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph "Fastdak"
~360ci, 5-spd, 8 3/4 rear / 3.90-SG
1994 Dakota 15.36 @ 91.56 mph
~318ci, 5-spd, 3.90 LS (bone stock, no mods)