Re: A500 to A518?

From: mrdancer (mrdancer2@home.your.underwear.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 22:47:11 EST

The A500 is basically the old A904 tranny, whereas the A518 is basically teh
old A727 tranny. That being said, the A518 is a heavier-duty tranny, but
the A500 should be quicker in the quarter-mile, if that's of any interest to
you.

In later years, these trannies were renamed 4xRH (H for
hydraulically-controlled shifts), then later renamed 4xRE (E for
electrically-controlled shifts). The higher the x in 4x RE, the stronger
the tranny. So, in the big RAM trucks, you will see higher numbers than in
the Dakota.

At any rate, all small-block (currently the 5.2L and 5.9L engines - for some
reason, the V10 is considered a big-block, even though it is based on the
small-block, not sure what the V6 is considered, but I would think it would
bolt up also, as it is based on the small-block) auto trannys are
interchangeable. Note that the 360 (5.9L) is externally balanced, and may
require a different torque converter if swapping between a 5.9L and a 5.2L.

Also keep in mind that a professionally-installed high-quality shift kit
will probably make your A500 tranny stronger than the strongest 5.9L tranny
currently available. This is because the factory makes their auto trannies
shift softly to appease brain-dead owners and soccer moms, and soft shifts
really weaken an automatic transmission. A good shift kit will give you
hard, abrupt shifts, and contrary to your gut feeling, will actually greatly
strengthen your tranny and increase its lifespan (although you may go
through U-joints a little quicker). Of course, a 46RE w/ shift kit will be
stronger than a 42RE w/ shift kit.

--
Remove .your.underwear to reply