Re: Re: A500 to A518?

From: Mark (Gilpin.MCKnospam@lycos.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 10:35:44 EST

The A500 and A518 are interchangeable as far as bolting up to the engine,
balancing characteristics being different between the 318/360 is the only
watch-out in that respect. What I really need to know is due to the fact
that I have 4WD, the physical dimensions between the two is crucial. Back
when I used to drag race my Duster, I got tired of rebuilding my 904 every 6
months, so I rebuilt a 727 and stuck it in. In that case, the 727 was about
5.25" longer, so I just had the drive shaft shortened. If the A518 is
similarly longer than the A500, the idea of swapping is moot due to the fact
that I'm not gonna change my entire 4WD system to accommodate it. But if
there is a length difference and it's taken up with the trans to
transfercase adapter, then I could still do the swap. 1/4 mile times are not
important, I know the A500's have a deeper first gear than the A518, but I'm
willing to trade that for the most strength I can get. If it comes down to
it and I can't do the A518 (46RE), I guess I'll just tear into a 44RE and do
some of my TH350 tricks to it, like machine down the clutch servos to allow
the installation of extra frictions and steels and so on. I have a TH350 in
my Pro Streeter sitting behind a 590HP 496BBC, and it's working like a charm
with only a once a year freshen-up. Again, thanks for any info.

Mark