Re: A500 to A518?

From: John_Neff@Dell.com
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 09:45:04 EST

You already have the 44RE, not a 42RE. The 42RE is used on the V6 whereas
all 5.2's get the 44RE. The 44RE is a beefed up 42RE, so they are physically
the same externally, but heavier internally. The heavy duty service group
for our trucks included a tranny cooler, larger radiator, larger battery,
and larger alternator.

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport. 5.2L, Auto
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota <http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota>

> I have a 98 5.2 4x4 Dak with the A500 42RE, and I'm looking for
information
> on heavy duty options. Does anyone know if the A518 46RE is a swap-in
> in place of the 42RE? I know there is a "Heavy Duty" option available
> for the Dakota, but I can't find out what it was (A500 44RE?) I would
> like to rebuild and swap in the strongest tranny I can, but finding
> interchange
and
> dimensional info is like trying to get the truth out of Clinton. Any
> info
on