RE: CN Dakota

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 14:28:54 EST

Subject: Re: DML: CN Dakota

Don,
I'm surprised to see a hyrail pickup lighter than 3/4 ton and most of them
are 1 ton just to carry the weight of the hyrail gear and any tools or
equipment that the maintainer needs. Each axle set, including mounting
brackets, usually weighs 200 - 400 pounds. The highway ride must be
different than most other hyrail trucks.
I interested to know if the supplier for BNSF uses any lightweight alloy in
their hyrail equipment. The rubber tires on the rail wheels probably
eliminates most of the "singing" from the small wheels at speed, a definite
advantage.
Removing the front bumper and valence always makes a Dak look unfinished
however.
With regard to the PDF file, some others on the list are more computer savvy
than I.
Neil