Re: Re: how bad are the stock rockers?

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 22:05:34 EST

   I have the Hughes rockers and they were installed last July, one of them
is making noise now so I have to adjust it. Hopefully the stud isn't loose. I
specifically asked them if I should use loc tite on the studs and they said
"no, just a little 30 weight oil on the threads". Anyway, I think it may
have to do with the characteristics of aluminum in hot/cold conditions.
probably the same reason that the M-14 (steel receiver) is the standard issue
for extreme cold weather service instead of the M-16 (aluminum receiver). I
figure if the aluminum is expanding and contracting (especially when its cold
out) at a much greater ratio than steel. It keeps putting differing stresses
on the pedestal studs causing them o eventually come loose. Just a thoery
though.

John S