Re: Ram truck transmissions

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 12:05:16 EST

Chuck, the 45RFE is the same transmission that is used in 4.7L powered
Dakotas and Durangos. It is an automatic overdrive that has 5 forward gears,
one of them being a "2nd over". Basically it has 2 different 2nd gear
ratios- one for accelerating(lower for better acceleration) and one for
kick-down or passing(higher so as not to make the RPM's jump as high when it
is kicked down). The 46RE is the same old A727-based 4-speed overdrive that
was also called the A518 and 46RH. It is the same transmission that is used
in the Dakota R/T and the 360 powered quad cabs and Durangos.The 45RFE is
pretty highly revered and has a descent approval rating right now. There has
been a few cases of them jumping to another valve body postion without
warning, but it is not a common problem. The 46RE's are just as they have
been-lazy shifts, lack of refinement,etc. It's based on a design that's
almost 40 years old! Need to know the ratios or anything else??

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 Reg. cab 2wd, 4.7L/NV3500HD/9.25" 3.92 sure-grip