Re: More 4.7L cooling issues

From: SEMIHEMI01@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 06:23:52 EST

Will,
    You sound like you have a coolant flow problem for some weird reason. It
sounds like the thermostat is not actually opening up completely. The 4.7
water pump developes a good head pressure and at higher rpms it may be
forcing the t'stat open. I had a RobertShaw that gave me trouble, So I
changed to a Stant. ALSO, I drilled a 1/32" hole in the rim of the thermostat
to guarantee that it would never get an air pocket at the t'stat. By placing
this tiny hole at the top all air can bypass the t'stat.
    The 4.7 uses a crossflow cooling system and the thermostat uses a bypass
system for a more even warmup period, which just complicates the problem. The
flow direction is also different due to the crossflow system. When I first
replaced mine, I was confused because the t'stat looked like it was in
backwards from the factory. The purpose of the bypass was to give the
aluminum heads an even temp when the thermostat did actually open.
    I don't know if all this crap helps you but I do know the 4.7 reacts
different from the other MOPARS. Bill

SEMIHEMI01@AOL.COM> KB SuperChargeded, 4.7L, 2001, QC,
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/semihemi01">the "DAK",</A> <A
HREF="http://futuresite.register.com/jump?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsouthernmopar.org">