More 4.7L cooling issues

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 00:23:31 EST

Ok, today I was on my usual trip in my truck and this condition finally
aggravated me enough that I had to post about it. It was about 40* this
morning during my drive and I had the following situation: I am running a
180* Robert Shaw thermostat, 50/50 mix of Prestone/pure distilled water and
2 quarts of radiatior relief in my '00 4.7L/NV-3500 2wd. While driving on
the highway at moderate(45) and high(70) speeds and using none of the HVAC
system(or with it, it doesn't seem to make a difference), the temp needle
sits aproxx. 3/16ths to the left or low side of the 2 in 210. I estimate
this to be about 165-170 degrees, maybe 180 but for sure no higher. When I
come to a stoplight or run up on traffic, my temp will run to 200-205
degrees(where I take action to cool it off, I don't want it to go to 210 or
higher) and I have to turn on the defrost on full hot to draw heat out of
the coolant(I use defrost becuase it will also kick on the compressor, which
kicks on the elec. fan and helps cool). Why will my truck run so cool down
the highway and then try to overheat in 40* weather?? I understand that when
I'm running down the road, the cool air is flowing over the radiator and
cooling the coolant off very well, but I would think that with my clean,
fresh coolant mixture, recent 180* thermostat, and the 2 quarts of radiator
relief I could at least sit at a long stoplight without getting very hot!
Any suggestions? I'm strongly considering removing the front splash
sheild/air dam(black plastic sheild underneath front of truck) for cooling
purposes. Think that would help?? I've been fighting these cooling issues
that I'm getting tired of it!

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 Reg. cab 2wd, 4.7L/NV3500HD/9.25" 3.92 sure-grip