Re: Open air intake = less torque (is this possible?)

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 08:16:50 EST

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:04:31 -0500, Jon Smith wrote:

> the stock aircan has the snorkel on it (we're talking about your '95
> right?)

Yep, it's the '95. I didn't bother with the plastic tube that goes out
to the grille, just the can, if that makes a difference. It's just
pulling air from the engine compartment.

> think of it as long intake runners, it helps create higher air velocity
> at lower RPMs. Unfortunately, this also inhibits higher RPM airflow.

Interesting... thanks, Jon. I wonder if there's any way to get the
low-end back with the open filter.

> It's a fair tradeoff, if my truck ever goes back to a dedicated 4wheelin
> machine I'll put the stock aircan back on... yeah, RIGHT =)
> Jon Smith

:-) Even with the lower torque, I'm still sticking with the open
element. The stock can makes me too nervous in regard to ingesting
water.

Jason Bleazard jbleazard@sympatico.ca Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 3.9 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white