Re: Synthetic oil/oil flush

From: MAGNUM S/T (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 08:52:01 EST

I've had an 'oil' flush by these guys before...it is NOT the same as an
engine flush. You are correct however about an 'engine' flush, especially if
the vehicle is older.

The 'oil' flush that I had done at Jiffy simply was having them run some
clean oil through to get any remaining residue from the bottom...in essence
'rinsing' it with clean oil before the refill. At the time I thought I might
have had some water contamination in there that's what I told them) and
wanted to be a little safe...so I fiugred it wouldn't hurt for them to run
some clean oil through..let it drain...then refill. I try to have this done
each time because I think there is a tendency to be in a hurry and reinsert
the drain plug before 'all' the oil has been drained :(, this little flush
step helps to ensure they drain the oil properly.

I don't get charged any extra for this 'oil' flush.

One of the weaknesses of Jiffy is definitely the price!...and the fact that
you must babysitt them to make sure they don't screw anything up. I have
yet to have them make a mistake with the Dak, but I also 'hover' to ensure
things are done right. I go to the same location almost every time so they
know me....and I emphasize that I have a show truck which I race ( I don't
race it, but they don't know that....but I find they tend to treat my Dak a
little special because of this :)

As far as changing it in 3k when U r running synthetic...there have been a
number of posts regarding this issue in the past. I run Mobil-1 synthetic
and I average an oil change every 3500mi.
There have been some good posts about this, but I believe that synthetic is
simply a 'cleaner' oil, so by using it regularly you will have fewer
deposits and contamination....does this mean it 'lasts longer'....well
that's where the discussion seems to be. Some have suggested that because
there is less contaminants it runs cleaner, and because it is synthetic it
should have less variance in the weight. It seems intuitive to think that if
it runs cleaner, it should last longer (if the main reason you change oil is
due to the oil becoming contaminated over time)

I change it about every 3k regardless. I believe someone on the list
actually found a site which discusses this issue on a more technical level.
10:1 someone will repost the link or the info.
<Puddlestompa@aol.com> wrote in message news:13.397236a.29503e0b@aol.com...
> I got my moms oil changed at a Jiffy lube today (which I will never do)
and
> they put in synthetic oil because the manufacturer recomends it (99
Passat)