Re: Codes revisited

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 22:11:57 EST

Hi Bob,

I just checked the FSM and they only have a small section on the evaporative
system which has to do with fuel vapor recovery. The most common cause for a
code is the gas cap as the purge system depends on pressure built up by a
tight gas cap. I might have missed it, but how did you check the gas cap?
Did you reset the computer to try and get rid of the MIL?

There's a couple places that you can do visual inspections on.

1- The evaporation cannister is located under the truck, inside the left
fuel rail in front of the fuel tank. You can check for obvious leaks here.

2 - There's also the duty cycle evap canister purge solenoid that you can do
a visual check on. It's located in the engine compartment to the left of the
brake booster. It's that small thing mounted to the firewall with all the
vacuum lines on it. This solenoid regulates the rate of vapor flow from the
EVAP canister to the intake manifold. Maybe there's a small vacuum leak.

Also, I don't know if a small leak somewhere along the fuel system (tank,
fuel lines, fuel rails) would cause this code or not, but it's perceivable
considering that the purge system is dependant on the pressure built up in
the fuel system.

Sorry it wasn't more ...

--
Chuck Robbins