Re: gen II body style

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 11:16:36 EST

On the net, the common generation breakdown is:

1987-1990 Gen I
1991-1996 Gen II
1997+ Gen III

However, I have always disagreed with this popular generation breakdown
though I myself have also used it.
Like stated previously in this thread, many believe the difference between a
Gen I and a Gen II was either the body change or the introduction of the
Magnum engine. Since the Body changed in 1991 and the Magnum was introduced
in 1992, it makes the 1991 Dakota sort of a half breed. My personal belief
is this:

1987-1996 Gen I
1997+ Gen II

My argument to support this belief:

(1) First and foremost, the official Chrysler body designation for 1987-1996
Dakotas is "N" Body and for 1997+ Dakotas is "AN" Body.

(2) If you follow the belief that the introduction of the Magnum engine
series is what designates a "Gen II" from and "Gen I", then why is a 2000
Dakota with a "Next Generation" 4.7 concidered a "Gen III" and not a Gen IV.

(3) If you follow the belief that the body change in 1991 is what designates
a "Gen II" from and "Gen I", then with exception of the hood, radiator
support, grill, front bumper and lower valance, 1987-1996 Dakotas all have
the same body panels and interiors. A right front fender from an 87 Dakota
will fit on a 96 and vise versa. They have the same cabs and beds. The
minor body change in 1991, moving the grill forward by a few inches, was to
accomadate the V8 engine. They needed the extra room for the cooling fan.
It was not a redesign of the truck, just product evolution. Also, in 1991
there was slight changes to the suspension on 4x4 models (slightly larger
control arms and CV axles) as well as the introduction of the 6 lug bolt
pattern. However, in comparison, there were also changes to the 4x4 in
2000. Rack-n-Pinion being one of the major changes, yet a 2000+ in still
called a "Gen III"

(4) I just like being difficult. Let the flames begin!

Walt