Re: Multi-speed automatic trans

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 00:43:57 EST

Well,I like my 45RFE. Feels better than my 42RE did.
The only issue I know of is improper dipstick
seating,which mine has,but it doesn`t hurt anything.
Just seat it before checking the fluid. Fritz`s Ram
Page carries most Ram/Dakota TSBs,and Allpar.com also
has a lot of info on all Mopars. The "45" prefix
denotes the torque,placing it just in V8 territory.
The lower numbers,like "42" RE mean less torque (V6)
capability.Once you get to 44 (I think),that tranny
will just handle a V8`s torque,and they go up to about
47 or 48 these days.The highest numbers are for bigger
V8s,or V10s. The "RFE" means "real freaking
exciting",or "rowdy Ford elimination",depending on
which plant the tranny came from. Steve P.
--- Joel <dakota@zracer.com> wrote:
> Any major issues with the 45RFE tranny? Does it
> shift hard or is it one of
> those slip and slides? Also, what is the torque
> rating? Before the Chrysler
> merger there used to be a site that had ALL tech
> specs on the truck and the
> info is no longer there.
> Joel
>
> http://www.zracer.com/

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.